Saturday, July 24, 2010

falling sparrows

sparrows were falling like cats and dogs. In the midst of the torrential downpour, a man stood alone. Arms outstretched in front of him and hands cupped together, he caught them one by one. His eyes were on the sparrows. "Just let them die, why are you wasting your time on those good for nothing animals anyway?" Some said. The man remained silent and continued saving the feathered creatures. One by one the sparrows fell. Staring intently at this heroic sight, his gaze met mine. First a nod then a wink, he spoke to me. "Come join me if you like." Startled, I grinned. Tables were turned. No longer was I watching him. He was watching me. I stepped down off the curb and into the street. Excitement grew as I neared this stately, curious man. We stood side by side, arms outstretched in front of us and hands cupped together. We both smiled in silence. One by one the sparrows fell. One by one we saved them.

No comments: